4.18.2011

It's the layers. 4.18.11

Hola,

I happened upon Juana Molina one day when I was listening to UC Berkeley's college radio station. they played the song Un Dia and it captivated me. I'm not sure if it was the Spanish influences, the Radiohead-like chord progressions and beats, or if it was just the right song at the right moment. Whatever the reason, I became hooked. I think I listened to her album "Un Dia"(2008) about five thousand times in one week and I still listen to it a lot even three years later.

Molina was born in Argentina and then moved to Paris in 1976 when her family fled from the military coup in Buenos Aires. She grew up in a musical environment and her dad taught her tango and flamenco inspired guitar at the age of 5. She is better known throughout Argentina and most of Latin America as an actress on the popular TV show "Juana y sus hermanas" but to the rest of us she suddenly rose out of the earth in 2000 when her second album, fittingly called "Segundo", hit the scene. Since then she has released three more albums and each has received high acclaim. Her live shows are said to be magical and her use of technology to layer and mix her music on the stage are breathtaking.

This is off her last album, "Un Dia", called Vive Solo. Even if you don't understand the lyrics, you'll understand the song. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment