4.21.2011

Life without regret and Life with all sorts of regrets. 4.21.11

Whoosh...and we're back,

LCD Soundsystem is the brainchild of frontman and producer James Murphy (also co-founder of DFA Records). Born in New York, the band started out as an underground dance-rock favorite among locals.

After the release of their second album, "The Sound of Silver", they were hardly underground at all. With songs like North American Scum, Get Innocuous and Someone Great, every music magazine in the country took notice.

Their third and last album, "This is Happening", was proclaimed by Murphy to be "better than the previous two" and popular director Spike Jonze signed on and directed the music video for the first single, Drunk Girls, off that album.  Very shortly after its release the band announced they were calling it quits and were walking away while on top. They decided to play one last time for the fans that loved them and in the city where it all started. Madison Square Garden, New York- April 2, 2011.

Boy, I wish I had been there.

This song has always been special to me mostly because of the amazingly well written lyrics. I think the repetition of the guitar, bass and piano lines lure you in and create a sort of captivating blur where the lyrics can take center stage. From their Sound of Silver album, All My Friends speaks about what we lose as we get older and how important each and every moment is. I am posting the lyrics below the link. Read them and consider them and enjoy.




That's how it starts.
We go back to your house.
We check the charts,
And start to figure it out.

And if it's crowded, all the better,
because we know we're gonna be up late.
But if you're worried about the weather
then you picked the wrong place to stay.
That's how it starts.

And so it starts.
You switch the engine on.
We set controls for the heart of the sun,
one of the ways we show our age.

And if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up
and I still don't wanna stagger home.
Then it's the memory of our betters
that are keeping us on our feet.

You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan,
and the next five years trying to be with your friends again.

You're talking 45 turns just as fast as you can,
yeah, I know it gets tired, but it's better when we pretend.

It comes apart,
the way it does in bad films.
Except in parts,
when the moral kicks in.

Though when we're running out of the drugs
and the conversation's winding away.
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
for another five years of lies.

You drop the first ten years just as fast as you can,
and the next ten people who are trying to be polite.
When you're blowing eighty-five days in the middle of France,
Yeah, I know it gets tired only where are your friends tonight?

And to tell the truth.
Oh, this could be the last time.
So here we go,
like a sail's force into the night

And if I made a fool, if I made a fool, if I made a fool
on the road, there's always this.
And if I'm sewn into submission,
I can still come home to this.

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand,
you can sleep on the plane or review what you said.
When you're drunk and the kids leave impossible tasks
you think over and over, "hey, I'm finally dead."

Oh, if the trip and the plan come apart in your hand,
you look contorted on yourself your ridiculous prop.
You forgot what you meant when you read what you said,
and you always knew you were tired, but then,
where are your friends tonight?

Where are your friends tonight?
Where are your friends tonight?

If I could see all my friends tonight,
If I could see all my friends tonight,
If I could see all my friends tonight,
If I could see all my friends tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment